Do you love to cook? We are looking for a special person to create a healthy lunch with dessert, Monday to Friday for our 20 Adult Day Program clients.
Cook/Kitchen Manager Adult Day Program
Full-time Hours 37.5 per week. 8:30am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday.
Occasional evenings or weekends may be required for events.
Salary: $21.00-$26.00 per hour
The purpose of the position is to meet the nutritional needs of Adult Day Program clients as determined by the Adult Day Program Coordinator. Overall, this position plans and develops a variety of menus and recipes, including meal preparation for special diets. Orders food from the Mount Newton approved providers. May occasionally be required to shop for food products.
Duties and responsibilities
The primary job duties and responsibilities of the cook are:
- Collaborates with Adult Day Program Coordinator in meal planning and developing the menu schedule for day program clients.
- Develops menus including special diets such as pureed, diabetic, lactose intolerant, vegetarian and gluten free.
- Adjusts menus and recipes based on feedback from staff, family, and clients.
- Performs duties such as estimating food and supply requirements based on menus and minimum/maximum inventory levels, placing purchase orders with external suppliers, receiving supplies, checking invoices against orders and goods received, storing and distributing supplies, and contracting suppliers to obtain and provide information and to investigate invoice anomalies and damaged shipments.
- Performs inventory control duties such as storing and rotating food and supplies.
- Shops for food items and monitors kitchen expenditures as needed.
- Prepares meals and snacks by performing duties such as planning food preparation and cooking schedules, cooking, roasting, grilling, baking, and carving.
- Refers to client preferences, allergies, and special dietary needs compiled and posted in the kitchen by the Day Program Coordinator.
- Monitor birthday schedule as posted by the Day Program Coordinator and prepares appropriate client birthday desserts (such as cupcake with candles) and works with day program staff to ensure the appropriate client is recognized for their birthday.
- Provides direction to kitchen volunteer helpers.
- Performs cleaning duties that includes cleaning food preparation equipment such as washes, scrubs and rinses and dries pots, pans dishes and utensils by hand, and dishwasher.
- Monitors the kitchen areas for cleanliness, and removes garbage/compost/recycling.
- Performs kitchen cleaning such as sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning sinks and counters, storage areas, such as walls, ovens, and freezers.
- Monitors functioning of equipment and reports malfunctions and maintenance and repair requirements to Executive Director.
- Completes and maintains related records and documentation such as fridge and freezer temperatures and cleaning schedule, recipes, client preferences, allergies and special dietary needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education: Grade 12
- Specialized knowledge: Certificate in Food Safe and WHIMIS required
Skills and abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and writing;
- Ability to deal with others effectively
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Ability to operate related equipment
- Ability to organize and prioritize
- Ability to problem solve and work as a team member
- Minimum 2 years related experience or equivalent experience.
- Experience cooking for large groups, fundraising functions and people with special diets an asset.
Required to be sensitive to the needs of frail older people, those with cognitive impairments, and swallowing difficulties. Clients with dementia may have challenging behaviors. Mount Newton Centre operates 5 days a week. A working lunch is required.
This position requires the ability to stand for long periods while preparing and cooking food. Ability to lift and sort food containers.
All employees must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19.